Due to lack of funding time may cease production.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Motivation to do Nothing

   What drives us? What motivates us to do anything? It has been said that with the right motivation anything is possible. But what happens when you are motivated to do nothing? I'm don't mean having no motivation, but instead, the motivation to make life as simple as humanly possible. You may say that this is the absence of motivation, however this is not the case.
   Some of the greatest things in the history of mankind were invented in the pursuit to do nothing. Here is just a short list of things that were invented in this very worth while pursuit, the wheel, the cotton gin, the automobile, the telephone, the internet, video games and nudie magazines. Sure some of these things were actually invented with more than one reason in mind, but all were invented to help society do as little as possible. Still not getting the connection? Well let me explain a couple of my examples.
   One of the first video games ever invented (actually it was the second), was called Tennis for Two. According to Brookhaven National Laboratory, Tennis for Two was invented in 1958 by a nuclear physicist named William Higinbotham. It was an archaic version of the game we now know as Pong. Now in his bio it says that he created it to give visitors of the Brookhaven National Laboratory something to do. However I would venture to guess the real reason he did it was because he always dreamed of becoming a great tennis player and challenging the likes of Pancho Gonzales. The problem being, he didn't really like exercising or going outside. So in his pursuit to play great tennis but still do as little as possible he quickly invented the most realistic version of electronic tennis know to man (to date of course). 
   Now nudie magazines is a different beast altogether. Earliest forms of the nudie mag appeared in France. It has been theorized this is because the French are adverse to showering and personal hygiene, therefore making it more difficult for them to find actual people willing take there clothes off. And so it began, one of the biggest industries in the world, started all because many people wanted a way to view scantily clad human beings without even getting of the couch, or showering, or learning basic social skills.
   Just thinking about all the new inventions that will help me do nothing really makes me giddy. I hope when I am old and ideally retired, I can do nothing but sit on the couch. It will be great I will just pop a few newly invented pills that keep your muscles looking like Brad Pitt in Fight Club, while I change the channel with the blink of an eye and a robotic monkey reads my thoughts and writes my blog. Of course I will probably have to work until I die to afford half that stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Your best one yet. LOL Made me giggle and you have a very good point. You could spend your whole life being motivated to do nothing, and in that aspect create tons of really cool things. :O)

    ReplyDelete